Friday, September 21, 2012

Rehab update

I've gotten myself up to 2.5 miles at about 11:05 average mile time. That's not great distance but the time is reassuring because I lost so much momentum with this downtime. I believe next week I am going to move to 3 miles. I'm running in a 5K (for Breast Cancer. Well not FOR it. Against it) in late October and I really want to be doing at least 3.5 or 4 miles in under 11 minutes by then.

Yesterday I did a little bit of interval training. I call it that but I have no idea if that is what it really is. Basically I run a mile fast, rest for a minute to 90 seconds, run another mile slightly slower but still over my usual pace, rest again and finish up with a slow mile. This time I ran the first mile faster than I usually do. Ended up with 9:42 for that mile and then dropped back off on the subsequent ones. It really felt good to push that first mile.

I definitely have gotten past the inertia issue of restarting--I really want to run everyday but I've been good and I'm only running every other day.  I

'm doing some weight training on the off days. Emily talked me into trying this barbell weight class thingy and I was surprised at how hard it is, and also how much I really like it. I've always wanted to do weights but getting started on my own is always an exercise in futility. Going to a class forces me to stick with it :) Plus the guy teaching the class knows what he's about.

No comments:

Post a Comment